Sunday 15 September 2013

A little light climbing

Cor, I'm not sure what's going on - only one post in months and now he's got Red Bus syndrome, you know, you wait ages for one and then two come at once.  

As you'll see I got over all my injuries and made it to the Lake District with himself, Bill and John.  We all stayed in a cottage and they seemed to spend a lot of time holding up glasses and laughing a lot. (I'm not sure what you're talking about. What's a few beers a couple of bottles of wine and the odd whisky between friends on a hot sunny weekend?)  Well, I don't know I didn't get to share much of it, so the truth will out. (Telltale!) Am not. (Are so!) AM NOT!!! Let's not fall out over it but maybe you'll give me a better share next time.  (Well ok then. I know blackmail when I see it.)
The rest of the time we went walking.  As you can see I had some difficulty with my rucksack, so I hired a porter to carry it for me ('Scuse me, you hired a what?... You rode in MY rucksack in a nice poistion with a good view!) Well, it sounded good didn't it? 

Anyway back to the story.  The road goes ever onwards as anyone who has read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings will know. 

In this case it was up into the hills above Braithwaite and the day was good. We went up Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Grasmoor, Sail and Causey Pike, walked 17km and climbed 1500m or maybe more.  Aren't the names of the hills wonderful.

 Himself seems to be a bit quicker than the other two, so I hopped out of the rucksack and did some mountaineering practice. I chose a suitable precipice and got climbing.









When I got to the top I sat down and had a great rest.  The views were wonderful and because it was so stremely high I sat and had a well earned fruit pastille just to keep up my energy levels you know.


(Excuse me bear I think it wasn't that high, but it was a good try.) Well, it felt high to me.  I only have wee legs (and a big tum.)  That's a very tummiest remark.  (Sorry, you did really well. Shall we start calling you Sherpa?) Maybe not.

Eventually we stopped for lunch and it was time for a group photo even if John held me up ouchily.
After lunch there was time to chill and enjoy the view.  This is looking north towards Skiddaw and Blencathra.  Then it was onwards and around and up and down and down and down until we got back home. In Braithwaite there was time for a beer (rehydration being very important) and then back to the cottage for dinner and wine and maybe a bit more beer.  Then there was lots of laughter, eventually followed by snoring and other noises. (Too much detail, I think).  Only reporting what I saw and heard.


Next day was another good one - even better weather than the last and we set off from the carpark at Ennerdale Water to  Great Bourne; Red Pike, High Stile and High Crag. It were a very long way and we climbed a lot too. In  fact it was 1220m climbing and 20km walking - the last 7 of which we did in 1hr 30m
On the way up above Ennerdale water we met some woolly friends.

Here I are whistling away while some of the humings catch up.  You can just see Bill and his hat coming on the right of the picture.
It was a hot day and a big climb so I sat on this stone in the middle of the stream to cool off. (It must have been really hard, all that climbing.) Oh yes it was really was. At times it was a scramble with all paws in use. (Fibs, fibs. Who was scrambling and puffing and panting?  Me I think.  You had a grandstand view!) Yeah, yeah, yeah, stop complaining.
Can you see me?  This is the summit of Great Bourne.
Here I am, silly Billies if you couldn't see me. Time for lunch.
On the top of Red Pike the view to Crummock Water. Can you see Scotland in the distance? Neither can I, but it is there!
Your intrepid splorer sitting in front of the view
Just before we came down we saw this set of fields. It looks just like a butterfly from up on high.
Well that was it, a long route march back to the car at express speed. Just time for a last look back along Ennerdale water, before he dragged me back to more food and wine. (And beer, don't forget the beer.)  As if I would?

See you soon
Hugs,
Jock

4 comments:

  1. Great adventure, Jock. But the hired help - whoa. How do you put up with "himself"?

    Take care.....
    Prudence ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jock what a climb with your wee legs, and fluffy bum. I hope there was no fur off after clambering over those rocks. I'm glad the refreshment was adequate.
    Hugs
    Wilbur

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Help needs to be fired, and as for the Help's friends, they really need to be schooled in good bear treatment!

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jock,

    What great photos! And not just because you are in them - I mean the views! What gorgeous views! I'd love to hike that area but first I'd have to come over and figure out exactly where you are on the map. You are an excellent climber - doing it the way most smart people would love to do it. I think your porter deserves a little more refreshment for a job well done. It's great that you have such good friends - although Katy is right. A few lessons in good bear treatment might be quite beneficial to you personally.

    I must go but it was nice to 'get away' for a bit through your adventure and your photos.

    Looking forward to the next bus!

    hugs,
    ~ginger

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by.